At Alberta Driveline, we are committed to providing you with the best services at the right prices, and this includes driveshaft repair and replacement. Your vehicle is important to you, and we understand this more than anything; this is why we are committed to getting you back up and running in no time at all!
What is a driveshaft?
In order to best understand why your driveshaft is malfunctioning, it’s best to understand what exactly a driveshaft is first. The driveshaft is what transmits the power created by your car’s engine to the front, rear, or front and rear of the vehicle as it’s required. When power is supplied to the two front wheels only, the vehicle is two wheel-drive, with a four wheel-drive sometimes having two driveshafts.
Why is driveshaft maintenance important?
As a driveshaft gets damaged, it underperforms and puts unnecessary pressure on other parts of the vehicle, which can cause significant damage. If the driveshaft stops working entirely, there won’t be any power being supplied to the wheels, and you will not be able to drive at all.
What are the signs my driveshaft needs to be replaced?
There are a few common signs you may experience that can indicate that it may be time to replace your driveshaft. These signs are:
- A clanking noise that you hear when you accelerate or shift between drive and reverse.
- A squeaking noise you hear while you are driving normally.
- A vibration you constantly feel while driving normally.
If you are experiencing one or more of these signs, there’s a good chance your driveshaft is in need of replacement. The best thing to do at this point is take your vehicle in for the proper services.
Important to know
There are a few things you should keep in mind about driveshafts and driveshaft replacement, such as:
- A vehicle with a modified height is at a greater risk of having its driveshaft damaged.
- A four wheel-drive vehicle may have two driveshafts instead of one, meaning it may only be necessary to replace one instead of both.
- When you get your driveshaft replaced, you should make sure to have all other components checked for damage, and you should also make sure the U-joints are properly lubricated.
- For some vehicles, it is more affordable and easier to simply replace the entire driveshaft rather than replace a single component.
At Alberta Driveline, we have the experience and the capable hands that are necessary to successfully and responsibly replace your damaged driveshaft. We make it our goal to work quickly and efficiently so you can get back on the road as soon as possible!